I picked up these bird patterned pants at the end of last summer and didn’t really break them out again until this week when the weather warmed up (at least temporarily) in Toronto. I love them and they even got the kid seal of approval! The first time I wore them, Wee Man said “Mama, I like your bird pants!”
These joggers are my first post pregnancy pants purchase and I think I am in love! They are so comfortable and surprisingly versatile! I can wear almost any pair of shoes with them to totally change their look. I think you may be seeing a lot more of them on the blog in the future!
Shop more jogger options via the widget below!
The Little Dress Shop of Dreams by Meena Van Praag - This was the first book I read after the twins were born. While they were in the NICU I was pumping a lot and I read this while I did it. A light, sweet read which was exactly what I needed!
The Other Side of Midnight by Simone St James - I love this authors historical gothic mystery novels and the fact that she is from Toronto is an added bonus. Highly recommend if you are interested in 1920′s England and ghosts!!!
Speaking in Bones by Kathy Reichs (via NetGalley out on July 21st 2015)- I was lucky enough to receive an advances galley copy of the new Temperance Brennan novel and it was a super fun read! This series continues to impress with new mysteries and some surprisingly good character development.
Don’t forget to enter my Mother’s Day giveaway with OURS by Cheryl Hickey!
Enter via the widget below (Canada and US only)
My mum and I received early Mothers Day prezzies from my friends over at Ours by Cheryl Hickey, including three of her new skin care products, a MaskerAide Mask (I love these), yummy Lemon Lily Tea and a Konjac facial sponge from Wash Beauty.
Television personality and mom Cheryl Hickey decided that she wanted to create skin and hair care products gentle enough to be used by even the youngest members of the family.
Her EveryBody Lotion is perfect for summer! Strong enough to keep my skin super soft and gentle enough to use on my face! Love that. I keep the pump right next to the shower!! Already addicted.
The 3 in One Hydrating Oil has become an integral part of the twins bedtime routine- I use it as both a moisturizer and massage oil for them and they love it! It is such a nice bonding, relaxing thing to do and the lavender scent helps prepare them for sleep.
The Face and Body Exfoliator is super gentle and I love to use it as pre shaving prep- makes my legs super soft and summer ready!
Cheryl’s products contain no harsh ingredients, are alcohol and gluten free and are not tested on animals. These are products that you can trust and feel good about using on the entire family. OURS will be expanding into new products soon so keep your eyes open at Rexall pharmacies, where the line is exclusively sold!
Cheryl and my friends over at Multivitamin Media have been kind enough to offer you these three products from her line to pamper both you and your mama for Mothers Day!
Enter the giveaway via the widget below (Canada and US only)
Meatball and Peanut, my fraternal boy/girl twins, are almost two months old! I cannot believe how fast time is flying by!
I thought I would share with you some of what I have learned in the time since they were born.
1.) Try to get out of the house at least once a day. It is hard and you are tired but it will save your sanity. Also: exercise.
2.) When you are out on these sanity saving walks, be prepared to be stopped constantly by people either inquiring about whether the babies are twins (um yes) or expressing their astonishment that you have managed to leave the house at all. It can get really irritating and repetitive but people are so interested and excited for I really try to remember to be gracious.
3) Accept help when offered. I need it and people want to help, whether it is providing a hot meal or just holding a baby.
4) Include the husband in the care of the babies. It sometimes seems that only you are able to calm the kiddos down but in my case, my husband is just as adept at relaxing them as I am (sans boobs of course). He wants to help and I need to allow myself to accept that help more often.
5) Having an older child and newborns (twins or not) is super hard and often a delicate balancing act. The older child still needs care and attention just as much as they ever did yet your time is now divided. I have been trying my best to read Wee Man his stories before bed each night so we at least have that time just the two of us.
6) Be prepared for your older children to be stage five clinger. Seriously, I think Wee Man would graft himself to my side if he could at the moment. It can be seriously irritating but I remind myself constantly that this is a HUGE adjustment for him and patience is a virtue.
7) It is really hard not to compare the twins’ development. My daughter is much smaller than my son yet she is more alert and these differences make me worry about both of them in their own ways. I have to accept that they are going to develop at different rates and I just need to take a chill pill about it.
8) I eat WAY more than I thought was humanly possible. Apparently you require an extra 1000 calories a day while breastfeeding twins and I am sure I am consuming that and more. I have an insatiable appetite and it is not unheard of for me to have two or three breakfasts in a morning.
9) You have to be prepared to listen to crying. You only have two arms and if you are occupied with one baby the other will just have to cry a little until you are able to come to its rescue. This is hard to come to grips with but it is just the way it is. They won’t suffer any long-term emotional damage for crying for a few minutes.
10) Wine is your friend. Indulge a little and don’t worry about alcohol in your milk. Jack Newman even says a glass or two is okay and he is an expert
Bonus: It is really hard taking care of two babies but I always try to think about the fact that this too shall pass and to try to enjoy every moment because you can never get them back!
Whether you have twins or not, what was the one thing that you learned in your first two months of being a parent?
** Don’t forget to enter for your chance to win a Baby Bjorn Bouncer Mini (Canada only). Enter via the widget below!
Local Toronto designer Jennifer Fukushima was generous enough to send me the amazing Antennaria Vest from her spring collection to feature on the blog. This vest is one of only 22 made and the fabric (which feels amazing) was milled exclusively for her in Italy. I decided to wear the vest on my first night out since the twins were born and I am so glad that I did- I received so many compliments on this look and I felt confident and, dare I say it, even sexy!
For 30% off on your purchase from her collection, use the code SSH30 ( Valid until May 31)
In 1961, Bjorn Jakobson designed his first product- a bouncer- and so began the phenomenon known as Baby Bjorn.
For many people, the name Baby Bjorn is synonymous with their baby carriers but they also have continued to make amazing bouncers over the last 50 years.
Recently I had the distinct pleasure of attending the launch of their newest product, the Baby Bjorn Bouncer Mini and speak with a representative from the head office in Stockholm about it.
This new bouncer, to be launched exclusively in Canada this June, is a smaller bouncer than the currently available Balance Bouncer Soft and comes at a lower price point (Approx. $159 CAD). This bouncer is intended for babies from birth to six months as a safe and cozy alternative to parents arms.
Like the Balance Bouncer Soft, the Bouncer Mini bounces without batteries, which helps baby to learn to sooth themselves and develop their motor skills. It has two positions and is incredibly easy to put together (and take apart to store flat when not in use).
The bouncer comes in two lovely colours- a dove grey and a light pink and have a very sleek and modern styling, as you would expect from the Swedes!
I was lucky enough to take home two Bouncer Minis for my twins and they love them! The first time I put them in it (while I quickly eat my lunch!) they were super content and looking around. They also look super chic in my modern living room!
Another thing I think is important to mention is that the soft 100% cotton fabric is, like all the companies products, approved per Oeko-Tex Standard 100, Class 1. This means that the textiles used do not contain any hazardous materials.
Now I want to pass on the joy to you! I have one Bouncer Mini to give away to one of my Canadian readers!
Please enter via the widget below and good luck!!!
** Image and bouncers c/o Baby Bjorn
When I was a pre teen, I was OBSESSED with the Baby Sitters Club series of books (if you are under 30 you probably have NO idea what I am talking about). I probably ready about 40 books in the series before I outgrew them and I am fairly certain that I still have all of them in a box in the basement. When I saw on Instagram that Skinny Sweats had created this awesome teeshirt with the Baby Sitters names on it, I had to have it even though I was almost too pregnant to wear it at the time. Now that I have a little less going on in my mid section, it is on constant replay!